Sunday, October 24, 2010
Sweet Potato and 'Canadian Bacon' Hash
Place 4 cups diced and peeled sweet potato and 2 cups diced red potato in a saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes; drain and set aside.
Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 cup chopped vegan Canadian bacon and cook for 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add 1 cup chopped green bell pepper and 2/3 cup chopped green onions; cook for 2 minutes.
Add the cooked potatoes, along with 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. celery seed, 1/2 tsp. black pepper, and 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg; cook for 4 minutes.
(Note: I realized I had celery salt instead of celery seeds, so I used 1/2 teaspoon of that but omitted the 1/4 tsp. salt in the step above).
Finally, stir in 1/4 cup broth and 1 tablespoon cider vinegar; stir or toss gently until the liquid is absorbed.
You'll have 6 servings of 1 cup and 210 calories each.
green bell pepper
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html