Wednesday, October 20, 2010
In a large bowl, combine 2 and 3/4 cups thinly sliced pear, 2 tablespoons organic brown sugar, 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind and 1 tablespoon fresh-squeezed lemon juice; toss to coat. The original recipe didn't specify which type of pear to use, so I chose bartlett, but I imagine any variety would do.
Divide the mixture evenly among 4 (8-ounce) ramekins. Next, the original recipe said to drizzle 1 tablespoon Marsala over each serving, and to sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon crumbled amaretti cookie crumbs. Marsala is one of those alcoholic products I can never quite get a vegan confirmation on - nothing I find online says it isn't vegan, and plenty of my fellow vegan bloggers use it in recipes, so I assume it is okay. As for the amaretti cookies, most store-bought varieties contain eggs, but the closest alternative I know are the almond cookies from Joseph's Lite Cookies.
Bake the crumbles at 500 degrees for 8 minutes. Top each serving with 1/3 cup non-dairy vanilla 'ice cream' of your choice - my favorite is the vanilla from Soy Delicious - and serve! Each crumble is 230 calories.
vanilla soy ice cream $4.19
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html